Sudden Cardiac Arrest Is a Race against the Clock
Sudden cardiac arrest strikes one American every two minutes.
The chance of surviving decreases by 10% for every minute without treatment.
one in 20 people survive a sudden cardiac arrest.
can help change this trend through life-saving resources.
Heart Defibrillation Is Critical within Three to Five Minutes
Sudden cardiac arrest strikes men, women, and children of all ages, and when it hits, every minute counts. If you’re able to apply CPR and an automated external defibrillator (AED) within the first minute of a sudden cardiac arrest, your victim’s chance for survival is close to 90 percent.
For every minute that heart defibrillation is delayed, your victim’s survival rate decreases by 7% to 10%. According to the American Red Cross, if heart defibrillation doesn’t take place within the first 10 minutes, there is virtually no chance of survival.
Are You Prepared to Save a Life When You’re Needed Most?
Having the right emergency measures in place can make all the difference in saving a life. Think about your location and consider:
- If someone collapses at your location, could it take EMS five minutes or more to arrive at your victim’s side and begin treatment?
- Do you have a high percentage of 50+ year olds or other high-risk individuals on site?
- Are you responsible for the safety of the people on your site?
If you’ve answered yes to any of these questions, it’s time to take action. This website contains life-saving resources that can help prepare you for the race against the clock, including:
- Educational information on sudden cardiac arrest and AEDs. To help you feel more prepared for a sudden cardiac arrest emergency, we’ve assembled educational information from leading organizations in emergency medical aid and workplace safety. Our sources include the American Red Cross, the American Heart Association, and OSHA.
- AED and CPR training classes. Through links to the American Red Cross and the American Heart Association, you’ll find easy access to online and in-person training classes.
- AED and first aid products. You can buy Philips HeartStart AEDs individually or as part of our Safety Kits. Philips HeartStart AEDs are the best automated external defibrillators on the market, thanks to their ease of use, track record for performance and reliability, and strong value over a five-year period.
- Safety Kits for work, life, or sport. Safety Kits set a whole new standard for first aid kits. They meet the first aid standards set forth by the American Red Cross. In addition, they are fully equipped with Philips HeartStart AEDs, so you’re better prepared for a sudden cardiac arrest emergency.